Our Commitment to Sustainability
By Lou Schreurs
VP Global Commercialization SBU Audio
HARMAN Lifestyle Audio
The HARMAN Luxury Audio Group is proud to announce our ongoing efforts to reduce the carbon footprint across our entire portfolio of best-in-class audio products. Everyone is aware of the importance consumers place on companies who are moving to more sustainable practices, so from time to time we will update our global dealer network about our progress on becoming a greener company, with greener products.
One of our roadmaps is the Sustainable Development Goal 13, which is about climate action and is one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals established by the United Nations in 2015. The official wording is to "Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts." The goal has targets to be achieved by 2030.
The main driver to achieve the goals is carbon footprint reduction. In tandem with carbon footprint reductions, sustainability encompasses additional elements, including:
• Reducing the use of plastic.
• Utilization of more recycled materials.
• Actively reducing Substances of Very High Concern (SVHCs).
• Responsible Business Alliance (RBA) audits of suppliers including labor practices, health and safety, environment policies and ethics.
HARMAN International as a company supports this direction wholeheartedly. From switching from coal-powered factories to factories powered by alternative energy sources, there are a number of ways in which we can move to more sustainable practices. The Luxury Audio Group has made significant inroads in support of these initiatives, including:
• Reducing power consumption in our products. The highly efficient Class G amplifiers being used in part of the Luxury Audio range are a great example.
• Eliminating the very big and heavy user manuals and moving this information to the cloud.
• Reducing the use of plastic in packaging.
We have embarked on this exciting journey and we hope you will join us. Let your customers know about these efforts so they can be proud to own not only the finest in audio fidelity, but that they have purchased from a company that is doing its part in addressing the impacts of a changing climate. We’re all in this together!